Sunday, April 3, 2011

No Waves at Wipeout

Walking into Wipeout (http://www.wipeoutbarandgrill.com/) on Fisherman's Wharf is like walking onto an amusement park ride.  Gimmicky decorations blanket the walls.  It has all the marks of a theme restaurant, including a giant mural depicting scenes of Pier 39.

Their menu is made up of pretty casual fare:  appetizers, salads, sandwiches, burgers, pizza, etc.  I went with the Bread Bowl and Salad combo; I got Chili Con Carne with their Caesar Salad.  

The cheese sprinkled chili sits heavily in the sourdough bread bowl.  After a few bites I wished that I had gone with their New England Clam Chowder, but as a lifelong New Englander, I couldn't bring myself to order my hometown dish in a West Coast restaurant.  

When I get a bread bowl, I want the soup to seep into it.  I rip off pieces of the bread as the soup disappears... I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.  Unfortunately, the hearty chili just sat on top of the bread.  I had a bowl of mediocre chili, and then I had a few bites of mediocre bread.  I could have ordered them separately and it wouldn't have made any difference.

The Caesar Salad was straightforward.  Nothing was wrong with it... but there was nothing special about it either.

Although their chili was lackluster, the waitress recommended a great drink:  their House Margarita.  I splurged and went for the 23 ounce frozen version.  They squeeze real lime juice into every margarita, and I definitely could taste the difference.  I refused to leave until I had sucked down the whole thing.

If you're on Pier 39 and you're hungry, you might want to explore a little more before settling in here. 

If you're here and want a few drinks, especially if you're craving some tequila, this just might be your place.

1 comment:

  1. Chili Con Carne at a place that serves pizza? Jess I hardly knew thee. Can you bring me one of those margaritas? On the rocks with salt please!

    ReplyDelete